Feb 13, 2010

Why Blog?


Welcome.

It’s over two years and three months since I blogged last (http://sureshn88.livejournal.com). This raises two questions- a) Why did I stop blogging? and b) Why am I starting blogging again?

As to the first question, laziness, procrastination etc. are the usual culprits. Another important issue was the privacy of those whom I write about, the near and dear ones. Even though personally, I may be willing to lay it all down in words, I do not have the right to assume the same about others whom I write about. They may resent the slant that I give or even resent the fact that it is out there for everyone to read. Many relationship warts are hidden behind a socially appropriate demeanor and life moves on.

If that is so, why am I starting to blog again? Privacy issues trouble me but I have thought of a way out. Ultimately, what matters is not who said or who did what but the lessons that we have gathered, our analysis and our thinking on the subject. So, I can still write what I have learnt without going into particulars, naming names or revealing what someone may want to keep hidden. The takeaways are important, not the story.

It is also because I believe that I need to flex my writing muscles. I am making a commitment to update this blog atleast once a week. I also strongly feel that clarity in thinking is brought about by clarity in writing. Even if there is no reader, I need to write to sort out issues that swirl in my mind. To quote ‘To write is to practise thinking new thoughts you didn’t anticipate thinking and it is to take your reader with you into that thinking, and so encourage that capacity to go beyond fixed ideas.”

I need to go beyond fixed ideas,  I need new perspectives, new ways of seeing the same things in the hope that such an exercise will give me that a-ha moment to sort out issues that I may be struggling with.

5 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    feeling glad to see you blog again, suresh,and enriched by what you have written, both the content and the style:)

    inspires me to do the same, soon,

    love,

    sekhar
    Suresh said...
    Thanks for the compliment, Sekhar- especially as it comes from a friend with such a love for language. Hope, with your blessings, to keep the flag flying high.

    Looking forward to seeing you in the blog space.

    love

    suresh
    Jazzy said...
    Hey Suresh,

    Sounds Gr8 !!!! I am glad to see you start of with ur new blog.....with these kinda great contents.

    The most interesting thing that i notice on ur blog is the title that u have chosen....."RUMINATIONS" !!!

    I too believe....rather than dwelling on the same problem through out the life without making any progress......We should actually indulge ourselves in healthy sharing of feelings with those whom we consider as our well wishers & these would most likely result in self progress.
    Suresh said...
    Thanks Jasmine (although jazzy sounds more...well jazzy)

    As one of those persons who inspired me to start blogging again, I am glad that you have liked the title and the concept.

    Do keep reading and giving your comments.

    Thanks again.
    Shekhar Veera said...
    Suresh,

    Find it strange calling you 'Suresh', but heck that is your real name!! Great to see you start writing again! I've always known you as someone with an intense passion for writing and creative thinking...So all the more joy to see you back at it again....

Post a Comment